On 26 February 2014 new data was loaded on the international OBIS portal; the total number of records stands now at just over 37.7 million, from 1,456 individual data sets.
Please see this page for details of the new and updated data sets, and a link to a map and metadata of each data set.
Statistics on the database holdings are as follows (figures in brackets represent the previous database versions holdings):
- Total number of records: 37,717,662 (37,018,672)
- Number of records identified to species: 28,961,825 (28,386,610)
- Number of records identified to genus: 33,017,008 (32,376,063)
- Number of valid species: 145,810 (147,552) *
- Number of valid marine taxa: 157,718 (164,766) *
- Number of valid marine species: 115,148 (121,202) *
- Number of valid marine genera: 27,314 ( 27,601) *
- Number of datasets: 1,456 (1,374)
* These taxonomy numbers have decreased because in this harvest the OBIS Taxonomy
has been updated with the latest information in WoRMS (www.marinespecies.org), and in a number of cases species have now become identified as synonyms of other species. So data quality has increased as a result.
The total number of names in the OBIS Taxonomy repository has increased in this harvest from 199,558
to 201,130, but these synonyms point to a smaller set of valid taxonomic names than in the previous version.
Even so, after this harvest there are nearly 900 new valid marine species in the iOBIS database that were not in the database previously!